More big events!

 In case I was thinking things would slow down a little after the wedding, I was wrong...the very next week, we had a round of zone conferences where Mark talked about our new GANM creed of being prepared mentally, physically, and spiritually to be instruments in the hands of the Lord of the harvest. As we do all we can to prepare ourselves to be the best instruments we can, we can feel peace as we do our best. I talked a little bit about Elder Anderson's idea of the quadrants with x/y axis with low/high love and low/high expectations, and how when you have high love for someone you also have high expectations for them because you want their greatest happiness. It's always so good to be together at zone conferences - we learn a lot together and love being together. These were the first zone conferences where the local relief society sisters put on the lunches for us, and they are so cute. You could tell they found a lot of joy in it, and wow, it's a big help. Feeling grateful to them! 

That weekend, Suse's friends, Grace and Avie came to visit and we had a great time hanging out with them and going on scooters downtown. Grace even drove on the crazy Atlanta roads - way to go! Lydia also had track state qualifiers where she qualified for state in both the 4x400 and the 300 hurdles. I can't even begin to say how proud I am of her. She worked so hard and really engaged herself in doing something she's never done before, overcame a bad sprained ankle, and just kept going. She made friends with the other sprinters on the team, and I just loved seeing her fighting spirit. She is a worker and she loves to compete. In her qualifying run in the hurdles she ran her best time ever, and has made so much progress. I was super proud of Suse, too. Her season just got cut short by some hip flexor injuries, so she's been going to physical therapy and rehabbing a bit. I had an amazing Mother's Day with 5 of my now 6 kids - now that I have a son :) in town. Zelle and Adam came back to visit after their honeymoon and everyone made the best dinner for me. We also had a really sweet visit from some of the missionaries. Ooooh I love them! They are such good people. 

On Monday of the next week, Mark and I had our mission leadership training. Fortunately for us it was at the Stone Mountain Marriott 15 minutes away where everyone had been staying for Zelle's reception the last weekend. The 17 mission presidents and their wives in the North America Southeast area gathered and we were really well taught for a few days. It was so nice to finally meet everyone in person that we've been on zoom calls with for the past year and a half! It was great to get ideas, learn new things, and feel the Spirit as we were taught. Mark and I really left feeling like we needed to emphasize the Book of Mormon in our mission more. Our girls got to stay in a hotel room with Sophie & Becca Graham, so that was fun to do hotel school for a few days! 

That weekend, Lyds had her state track meet. She ended up hitting the last hurdle with her foot and almost went down, but made a great save to stay on her feet. She was really disappointed to finish 11th in state, but I thought it was pretty awesome. She wanted to go out feeling like she'd run her best times and knew she was capable of more, but we couldn't have been more proud. She definitely gave it her all. Natty also got back to soccer with her wrist healed, and was happy to be back out there. 

The next Monday for the missionaries' Pday, we did our first annual mission gathering. President and Sister Hilton and the amazing people in their stake ran games, food, took pictures, did activities, and taught the missionaries. They were incredible! It was great for Mark and I to be able to enjoy being with them, and to have everyone together. There was a blow up obstacle course, a hopscotch/rock, paper, scissors game that's my new favorite, just to name a couple. Mark and I spoke for a few minutes at the end about trying to establish Zion - to build and lift each other. That weekend we spoke in Lilburn stake conference about the first two commandments, then I spoke at Lydia's seminary graduation that Sunday night - a big congratulations to her and all the other graduates! Early morning seminary is quite an accomplishment. I gave our mission devotional on Tuesday about the power of words and our word choice, and then spoke at the Coal Mountain Stake girls camp. I don't think I'll ever get totally comfortable speaking in front of people. It's hard for me every time, but I also know that the Lord helps me so much. I could never have spoken at so many things so quickly with everything else going on without tons and tons of help. I am learning to let go a little and rely on the Spirit a little more, but it's still really unnatural and hard for me. I want to get better at it. 

Then we were into the girls' last week of school. I can't believe they did it - an entire year of online high school! And half a year for Natalie, and finishing her year at Trickum Middle School. It feels like an accomplishment, and I'm proud of them. It feels like time for school to be out - we're ready! We even went to an Atlanta Braves baseball game this month - such a fun atmosphere.

Transfers were also already upon us again this last week of school, but thankfully we only had about 12 incoming missionaries and 4 outgoing ones, so it was a smaller group. It was so hot that we did the testimony meeting in the afternoon, and hiked Stone Mountain at sunset. It was a good move - much cooler! After we sent our outgoing missionaries off, we had Lydia's graduation later that day. I'm glad they had an in person graduation. It was a great event outside on the football field. They marched in to pomp and circumstance, and she was a lovely graduate. I am not ready for her to leave, but off she goes. She has added so much joy to our family this year, has given up so many things to be here in Georgia with us and to help her sisters out. She has been incredible. I will never look back on this year without thinking of the struggle, challenges, and victories for her this year, and feel deep love, respect, and gratitude for her. At the end of the week, it was Natalie's 12th birthday. She wanted to go to ifly, so we went as a family and it was a lot of fun. It's the wind tunnel/sky diving thing, and it's hilarious. After that we got dinner downtown and went to the movie "Quiet Place 2." I'm not really a scary movie person, but she really wanted us to all go, so we did. It was intense!

This past month has been busy and wonderful!! I seriously look back on it and know we were so supported and sustained by the Spirit. There is no way we could have done everything we did and survived without so much help from the Lord. I feel grateful! 

Zone conference



Hooray for visits from friends!






Finally got a picture in front of our mission sign as the part of the family who's lived here in Georgia




Mission President seminar

Mission Pday gathering





Ollie is so funny, putting "the paw of affection" on Lyds's head

Atlanta Braves game!

Lydia's seminary graduation

Latest group of incoming missionaries

Abby on her latest mission tour w/ President & Sister Ames and Elder & Sister Nielsen

Our most recent outgoing missionaries - love them!

Lunch for Lydia's graduation

don't leave us!

Happy graduation, Lydia! Job well done




Parkview High School class of 2021

Happy 12th birthday, Natalie!! We adore you!




Centennial park downtown. We tried to do a few last downtown things with Tuggy before she left





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We made it to Georgia!

Winter in ATL - January 2022

Summer - short but oh so sweet! June/July 2022