Busy and beautiful holidays - November/December 2020
Our first holiday season in the mission field is in the rear view mirror already! Every time I take a moment to reflect, I can't believe how quickly everything moves. Since I last wrote, we had really great zone conferences the week before and week of Christmas. We ended our final of 4 on December 23rd, so that was fun, but honestly so hectic to do so close to Christmas - living and learning here. We focused on a gift to the Savior and I read the children's book, "Christmas Day in the Morning" by Pear Buck. We had a great discussion about a gift of love and then took time to write gifts to the Savior and put them in a little manger looking box. We will send them in the mail a year from now and check in with ourselves to see how we did. We trained some more on planning and finding, and also heard from our stake presidents. They were great meetings and the Spirit as we closed them by having the outgoing missionaries bear their testimonies, watched "The Christ Child" video and said a prayer together was so powerful I almost couldn't absorb it all. It was indescribable, and honestly a privilege to be there. Wow.
Another highlight of Christmas time was Mea and Grandma Harris in town. It just made it feel more like the holidays with family in town! The whole group of girls (Adam had gone home by this point, and Mark was doing something...meetings, interviews, not sure what) went to eat at Melting Pot, which has become sort of a fun Christmastime tradition. We were caroled to by missionaries, drove around seeing as many Christmas lights as we could find, and went to the gingerbread house in Buckhead. It was a great season, and by the time Christmas day rolled around, we did a brief mission devotional and had a great day opening presents and getting gifts ready with some of the missionaries for some secret Santa projects. We also watched "It's a Wonderful Life" as a mission on Christmas Eve - one of our favorites, so we had to share it with the missionaries. One thing we did not make it to was Christmas cards! I was so happy when we got cards in the mail - I kept feeling a little guilt I didn't get one out, but next year I will!
The girls went home to Utah a couple of days after Christmas, and we were so grateful to so many family and friends for taking care of and hanging out with them and helping our orphan kids feel so loved! It was a strange experience for both Mark and I to be able to focus on the mission for a few days. While the girls were in Utah, we received a very exciting facetime call from Zelle and Adam - they're engaged! This was not a surprise since things have been moving that direction lately, but wow, it's such an exciting moment! It feels different to have it official. It's fun to see their excitement and love for each other. So, we will be wedding planning in Atlanta. As Zelle puts it, the destination wedding she never wanted...so funny!
In January, the girls went to in person school for 2 days. It was the first time I had all my kids in school since last March. Not to worry, though, Suse and Lydia decided it isn't worth it with just a couple of kids in each class, so they're back online. Natalie went for an entire week, and then the whole district went online this week. So, it was short-lived, but I was proud of them while it lasted. Goose in particular was amazing. I dropped her off in a building she has no idea where a single classroom is and doesn't know a soul in that giant building of 2500 kids. There's nowhere to park and walk in, so you follow this ridiculously long line that takes 45 minutes to snake through at drop off and pickup, and I just dropped her off and said, I hope I can find you at pickup. If I can't, borrow a phone from someone and call me. It was kind of crazy. She did great, we found each other, and besides the drop off and pickup madness, she had a good week.
Lydia and Suse have been going to track and trying to get involved there. Usually the coaches call them "Utah" or "Provo" - sometimes less nice things, but they're living and learning and having experiences. I'm proud of them. Other highlights of January have been Suse getting to visit friends in Knoxville - she had the best time and it filled her bucket! Then we're lucky enough to have the Morgans visit this weekend. We've been to the botanical gardens and downtown with them, and then met a few of our missionaries today at church. It's been great to see them! We're grateful for warm days we occasionally get in the 50s with some sun, lots of sweet missionaries, and other amazing people we get to be around. Life is good and we have a lot to be grateful for, especially our Savior and the hope His gospel brings to all of us!
















Comments
Post a Comment